Supporting pupils on the autism spectrum.
We use a range of multi-sensory teaching and learning styles.
We use a number of common fundamental principles that make for successful teaching of pupils on the autism spectrum.
- Intensive, structured and purposeful teaching.
- Clear, unambiguous and explicit instructions and teaching strategies.
- Use of repetition to consolidate.
- Re-teaching in different contexts and in different ways, not assuming that the pupil has understood because they have repeated or demonstrated something.
- Using a communicative form that the pupil understands and can use to convey ideas to others i.e.: visual, audio or kinaesthetic learning, giving students the opportunity for learning to be achieved through experience of the world.
- Giving opportunities for learning with a personal meaning that is interesting and motivating.
- A high level of adult support and tuition.